12.14.2013

Starlight


Grandpa’s house, the family house of my mom’s side of the family, is like our second home, its doors always open for us in laughter or in sorrow.

One night I and my sister came for our regular visit; we were greeted at the doorstep by Christmas lights shaped like a miniature tree, flickering in the dark like stars of varying colors. Aunt M did a pretty good job decorating the house – the Christmas Spirit was very much alive.

We stepped into the well-lit living room to find grandpa sitting on a black leather sofa chair, his cheerful disposition, a light on its own, brightening up the place even more. My cousin then tells me that he walked all the way from his room, a mere few steps away, to where he was seated with the supervision of his caregiver. Aunt L’s ecstatic Facebook comment from a month ago as we showed her a photo of grandpa standing upright with a cane echoed in my mind: “Papa can walk again! Praise the Lord!”

My thoughts brought me back to the time when he got ill, bedridden, and helpless a few months ago, memories of which I’d rather forget. But after all those days and nights I secretly cried to God, He finally showed me that there is indeed redemption. I smiled an incandescent smile as I carried an inexplicable joy in my heart that has been scarred countless times.

The noise grew faint and my mind fell into silence as my gaze was fixed on the Christmas lights flamboyantly changing in colors; they reminded me of life.


25 comments:

  1. Dear Irene ... thank you so much for visiting my "little space" and for your kind words. I enjoyed hearing your thoughts of your grandpa ... such a very special part of your life! I shared a bit about my gramma ... whom was an inspiration to me on one of my past postings. I thought that you might enjoy reading it. I was never fortunate enough to know either grandpa! My other gramma lived next door to us ... she was "prim and proper" and I too have special memories of her as well. Sweetest Blessings ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having your family around the holidays
    is the best thing really c: Nice lights deco!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is indeed good, your lolo can walk again. :) thanks for dropping by my blog. followed you, dearie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This touched my heart......beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your lolos story is such a very testimony irene :) btw what camera do you use? i like how you photograph lights, on new year im actually a bit excited to buy those stick mini fireworks so i could take a nice shot with it. would love to see your new year photos as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christmas is always a time when things come round, and solutions come to us as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This brought a smile on my face. :)
    You write so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a thankful thing your grandpa is better, lovely lights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. With all the love surrounding your grandfather he got better! That is a miracle. It is so nice to have places of comfort to go to other than your immediate home. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice, I love such lights for christmas. Great that your grandpa is better :) XOXO Anna

    www.fashionanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet reflection and cheerful photos, Irene!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy your prayers were answered about your grandfather... and now you will have another great Christmas to make more memories... I love what you said about the changing colors of lights... being like the changes in life... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Irene, I am so happy to hear that your grandfather is doing better. Christmas is such a special time and to be with family is even better. Enjoy this Christmas and make new memories! Thank you for the visit!

    http://nelmitravel.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christmas lights are one of my favourite things this time of the year. They make me feel so happy! I wish I could spend Christmas with my relatives especially my grandparents this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've done +1, lovely post. That's a really sweet reflection and I love the pictures. I'm not lucky as you, never had grandparents. I wish you the best Christmas you could have with all the love that is surrounding your family :)
    Following u through GFC xx

    http://thecosmochic.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely. it's nice to have that home :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a lovely post Irene, full of love and light. God answered your prayers, he always does. Take care dear.
    Love from France.

    ReplyDelete
  18. christmas lights always get me. and so great about your grandpa and the ability to overcome his illness and walk again. must have swelled your heart with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is very cute post, so vesstive. Would you like to follow each other? I am follwoing you on GFC # 63, on blogloving and instagram. Hope you can stop by my blog and follow me back
    Olga
    www.impromp-two.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty lights and festive feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so glad your grandpa is better and that you're finally getting into the Christmas spirit. :)

    ReplyDelete